Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Illinois' reform governor says state preparing to take over Chicago Public Schools

Herzl School, West Side
Fifty years of financial and classroom failure is too much for Illinois' Republican reform governor.

From the Chicago Sun-Times:
Gov. Bruce Rauner on Tuesday said he's preparing for a state takeover of Chicago Public Schools and has told state Board of Education members to start looking for an interim superintendent for the city’s cash strapped school district.

At a news conference in Springfield to discuss legislation that would change the state's procurement process, Rauner said he's already told the state Board of Education to begin the process of identifying who can take over as superintendent of CPS.

"The state's going to be ready to step in and take action," Rauner said a day after the Chicago Teachers Union rejected a contract proposal from CPS.

"I asked our administration. I believe it's coming. I believe a state takeover is appropriate," Rauner said.
CPS, whose bonds are rated as junk, recently proposed a budget that includes deep cuts in spending as it faces enormous pension obligations. The Chicago Teachers Union, whose members apparently aren't very good at math, calls the proposed budget "an act of war."

2 comments:

Holding My Nose said...

Rauner should have the state take over the CPS and then do to striking teachers what Reagan did to striking Air Traffic Controllers.

Anonymous said...

As a businessman who has recently used union workers on my construction project, I was very pleased. When I saw all the money I had to be paid for workers compensation insurance I was astounded. This state is going no where until be get the protection mob out of business' pockets.